Sunday, July 31, 2011

CHICKEN MARSALA





I based my recipe on Emeril's recipe for chicken Marsala. In his version, Emeril does not do the three step breading method that I use. Other ways my recipe differs - I reduce my sauce twice, I use more Marsala, I use different mushrooms, and I do not add the cutlets to the finished sauce in the pan. Rather I spoon the sauce over the cutlets which are already on the serving platter or dish.

The first thing you need to do is to prepare your chicken cutlets. I pound mine as thin as I can get them, as long as the breast is not falling apart. You, however, may pound YOUR chicken to whatever degree you wish. After all, it is YOUR chicken. And if you've had a bad day, it could be therapeutic.

After pounding the chicken, I dredge it in flour, seasoned with Emeril's Essence, available in your grocery store spice aisle. (The above link also has a recipe for making your own Essence, just scroll to the bottom of the recipe at the link and you'll find it.) If you have a seasoning you prefer, change it up!

I then dip the cutlet in egg, allowing the excess egg to drip off before I put it in the seasoned breadcrumbs. I'm making the assumption that you know how to pound and bread chicken cutlets so I won't waste much time on it. If you are new to the breading of chicken cutlets, here's a nice short video showing you the method I use. Please note that I always pound the chicken to the desired thickness before I bread it for this recipe. (And no . . . it's not me on the video.)

Video



Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with 1 tablespoon Essence
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs

2 (6 to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in halves and pounded thin

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 cups sliced mushrooms, I use baby bellas
1 1/2 cups of Marsala, divided
1 cup chicken stock

Directions

Pound the breasts to desired thickness. Dredge in seasoned flour, dip in eggs, then place in bread crumbs until thoroughly covered.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. (I usually place mine in the microwave until I'm ready for them.)

Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter to the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are brown around the edges and have given off their liquid. Add 1 cup of the Marsala wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When the wine/broth mixture has reduced by half, add the rest of the Marsala and reduce again or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Be patient. Reducing a sauce takes time. It will be worth it. Swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Place your cutlets on the serving platter or dish and spoon the Marsala and mushrooms over the cutlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...