Thursday, November 13, 2008

Zen Bistro - Daytona


I've discovered a new Thai restaurant in Daytona. It's on Bay Street, about a block up from Beach Street and across the street from another Thai restaurant, Siam Spice. Zen Bistro is a much tinier place than Siam Spice. Siam Spice has a lot more ambiance too, but Zen Bistro makes up for the "few frills" surroundings with excellent food and eager to please waitstaff. The waitstaff is on the ball. Orders are taken quickly and with a smile. (View their menu.)

So far I've tried the spice noodles (described on the menu as "stir-fried flat noodles with chop chili, garlic, bell peppers, onion, and Thai basil) and their yellow curry (menu description "yellow curry paste cooked with coconut milk, onions, and potatoes). Both times I added chicken and asked for the meals to be "hot". I don't think the same cook was working both times because I thought the spicy noodles should have been "hotter" but practically scorched my lips on the curry. It cleared my sinuses up in a flash which was rather welcome because I had a cold. I think the next time, however, I'll go with a mild hot for the curry because the hotness overwhelmed the slightly sweet taste of dish. Both times I got the lunch portions which were ample. I have not managed to make it there for a dinner, but a friend of mine took a large party there for a celebration dinner and she said they were treated like royalty and she raved about the food.

They have some curries that I don't see on every Thai menu, pineapple and pumpkin. They also have some Japanese appetizers (edamame and gyoza) and miso soup. I love dumplings so I believe the next time I stop by I'll try the gyoza for an appetizer. My main dish is still undecided but I'm leaning toward the basil sauted with chopped chilis, garlic, green beans, onion, bell pepper, and carrots. You can add chicken, pork, beef or shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...